expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hammer and Chisel Journey - Day 49: Total Body Hammer

Day 49 - Total Body Hammer

Please see my previous blog post Hammer and Chisel - Day 35 for a full description of this workout to include pictures and video clips of the moves.

...And this workout will definitely make you sweat!!


I don't think that I did a good job telling you how much weight that I was using on previous blog posts for this workout, so I will outline below the weight that I was using and try to highlight increase in weight as appropriate.


Round 1: 

Bench Press –  I used the stability ball for this – but a simple bench press! I used 25 pound dumbbells. (a significant increase from the first time that I did this workout using 12 pound dumbbells)  This was heavy for me... 20 pounds probably would have been a better choice!

Squat – a simple squat with knees shoulder distance apart. This move gets significantly harder with the weight over time. I used 25 pound dumbbells.


Reverse Grip Row – Bend at the waist and pull towards you, focusing on your back. I used 15 pound dumbbells for this move.

Round 2:


Incline Fly  – Same as the bench press but you do a fly move on an incline...so that you work your upper chest more. I did this on the stability ball using 15 pound dumbbells. (an increase from 10 and 12 pound dumbbells)

Reverse Lunge– Step back lunges. Round one is the right leg, round 2 is the left leg. I used 25 pound dumbbells.

Wide Pull-Up – HARD!!!. I am still using the resistance band attached to the door for this move.  My husband uses the pull up bar.

Round 3: 

Military Press –  Shoulder workout – I performed this seated on the stability ball using 10 pound dumbbells (an increase from 8 pound dumbbells).

Split Squat – One leg up on a chair (couch for me) and then you squat with the other leg. Round 1 is the right leg, and round 2 is the left leg. I used 25 pound dumbbells for this move.

Post Delt Fly – This is a one-armed deltoid - just swing your arm up to the side from a bent over position leaning on the ball. This one is a lot harder than it seems and really becomes very difficult by the end.  I used a 10 pound dumbbell, an increase from an 8 pound dumbbell.


Total Body Hammer Review & Thoughts: 


 This is definitely the most “classic weight lifting” round of the program.  I really enjoy it and I always work up a crazy sweat – the rest period between moves is very short! I have been able to increase my weights a little bit since the last time that I completed this workout, so I know that I am getting stronger! Be sure to track your weights and track your progress! I wish that I was doing a better job writing my weights down... so learn from my mistakes on this! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment